4 year universities

So a couple of weeks ago we talked about community/junior colleges. Today we are going to talk about 4 year universities. A university, as defined by Merriam Webster, is “an institution of higher learning providing facilities for teaching and research and authorized to grant academic degrees.”

In other words, if you want a bachelor’s degree, you will ultimately graduate from a university. You can start off at that school and complete all 4 years there or you can transfer in from a community college after you have your first 2 years of basics done and finish your last two at the university.

There are different types of Bachelor’s that you can earn:

  1. Bachelor of Science (BS) = your coursework was mainly in a particular science area
  2. Bachelor of Arts (BA) = your coursework was mainly in the area of humanities
  3. Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) = your coursework focused on intensive art and design studies
  4. Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) = your coursework was in an area of business

(I have a BA in Communication 😉)

It’s also IMPORTANT TO NOTE that until you have graduated with a BACHELOR’S DEGREE, you are considered an UNDERGRAD!

****Undergrad = No Bachelor’s Degree (yet)****

Some widely known universities are: Texas A&M University, Stanford University, Florida State University, etc.

Community/Junior Colleges

Hello again!

So today I’m going to step back a bit and start a couple of posts on the types of colleges that are out there. Today, we will briefly go over what a community or a junior college is.

According to Merriam-Webster, the definition for both are as follows:

Community College –  a 2-year government-supported college that offers an associate degree

Junior College – an educational institution that offers two years of studies corresponding to those in the first two years of a four-year college and that often offers technical, vocational, and liberal studies to the adults of a community

In addition to these definitions, most community/junior colleges will offer technical certificate options. Certificates can be 8-10 month programs while associate degrees are typically 2 years. Programs that are commonly found at these schools are: Welding, Air Vac Technician, Aviation Technician, Automotive Technology, Medical Assistant, LVN, Dental Hygienist, and many many more.

Some students also choose to do “the basics” and then transfer to a 4 year university to finish their degree. The basics,  also known as the academic core, is the common English, math, history, and science classes that are required by most degree plans at the 4 year universities.